2016 Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Procedure
In order to support developmentof Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinesecultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese languageteachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius InstituteHeadquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the“Confucius Institute Scholarships” program for providing sponsorship to students,scholars and Chinese language teachers of other countries for pursuing a study in relevant universities in China (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
I.Category & Eligibility
The 2016 Confucius Institute ScholarshipCategories are:
1. Scholarshipfor Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)Students
2. Scholarshipfor one-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL Students
3. Scholarshipfor Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)Students
4. Scholarshipfor One-Academic-Year Study Students
5. Scholarshipfor One-Semester Study Students
6. Scholarshipfor Four-Week Study Students
Application is open to applicant who ownsa non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition, (Applicantis currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceedthe age limit of 45. Undergraduate student shall not exceed the age limit of 20).
1. 汉语国际教育专业硕士 资助期限为2学年。申请者须具有学士学位或相当学历，汉语水平不低于HSK五级180分、HSKK中级50分，提供毕业后拟任教机构工作协议或相关证明者优先。
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree inTeaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academicyears. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum scoreof 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 50 in HSKK Test (IntermediateLevel). Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement orcertification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions ispreferred.
2. 一学年研修+汉语国际教育专业硕士 资助期限为3学年。申请者须提供与孔子学院或拟任教单位签订的协议，具有学士学位或相当学历，汉语水平不低于HSK三级180分、HSKK初级60分。
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study+ MTCSOL Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 3academic years. Applicant should provide the employment agreement from adesignated Confucius Institute or a prospective working institution. Applicantshould hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in HSKTest (Level 3), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Beginner Level).
3. 汉语国际教育本科 资助期限为4学年。申请者须为具有高中以上学历，汉语水平不低于HSK三级180分、HSKK中级40分。
3. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree inTeaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4academic years. Applicant should hold a high school diplomaor above, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and a minimum score of40 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level).
4. 一学年研修生 资助期限为11个月。面向孔子学院（课堂）学员，海外本土汉语教师、中文专业学生、HSK考试成绩优秀者，不招收在华留学生。汉语水平不低于HSK三级180分、HSKK初级60分，或者不低于BCT（A）180分、BCT（口语）180分。
4. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year StudyStudents
This category provides a sponsorship for 11months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseasChinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellentperformers in HSK test. International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have a minimum score of 180 inHSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level). Alternatively,applicant should hold a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A) , and a minimum scoreof 180 BCT (Speaking).
5. 一学期研修生 资助期限为5个月。申请者无来华留学经历，汉语水平不低于HSK二级120分、HSKK初级40分，或者不低于BCT（A）100分、BCT（口语）120分。
5. Scholarship for One-Semester StudyStudents
This category provides a sponsorship for 5months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China, but have a minimum score of 120 in HSK Test (Level 2), and a minimum score of 40 in HSKK(Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should have a minimum score of 100in BCT (A), and a minimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking).
6. 四周研修生 资助期限为四周，以研修汉语为主。面向孔子学院（课堂）学员、HSK/BCT优秀考生和《孔子学院》期刊读者俱乐部优秀会员。申请者须提交HSK或BCT成绩报告，无来华留学经历。
6. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for4-week study which is mainly focusing on Chinese language. Application is mainlyopen to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSKtest, and outstanding club members of Confucius InstituteMagazine.Applicant should submit a HSK or BCT score report, and have no prior experienceof studying in China.
“Chinese Bridge” (Chinese ProficiencyCompetition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the2016 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” can apply for admissionaccording to the scholarship specified in the certificate.
II.Majors, Host Institutions & Admission
This year, 150 Chinese universities areentrusted as the host institutions of the scholarships which provide varioussubjects including Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, ChineseLanguage and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, TraditionalChinese Medicine, Chinese Music, Chinese Dance, etc. For more detailedinformation of the host institutions, please find the Application Form on theConfucius Institute Scholarships Website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
Admission for students of MTCSOL, one-Academic-YearStudy + MTCSOL, BTCSOL, one-Academic-Year Study, and one-Semester Study iseither on September 1st, 2016 or March 1st, 2017.
Four-Week Study courses are available fromJuly 15th - August 14th, 2016, or December 15th,2016 – January 14th, 2017. Courses at other time durations can onlybe arranged on the condition of recruiting 10 students minimum, and applicantsfrom Confucius Institutes (Classrooms) should initiate your application 3 monthin advance.
III.Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarshipprovides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance andcomprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planningand utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chineselanguage proficiency tests (HSK/HSKK), and cultural and social activities forscholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overallplanning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarshipholders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). For those who liveoff campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled toaccommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter. Theallowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the hostinstitutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
l BTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study,One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
l MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month
Enrollment status is based on semesters ofhost institutions. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or onthe 15th) of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowanceof that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of thatmonth, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month ofgraduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduationstatus by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who isabsent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legalholidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will beterminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personalreasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance ispurchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on internationalstudents stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance feeper person is RMB800 per year.
The degree scholarship program applicants(Category 1, 2, 3) are subject to annual academic performance review. Onlythose who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese languageproficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; thosewho achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; theothers will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarshipsconsist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance.The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers is required toattend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursedby host institutions.
Scholarship recruitment is open all yearround on a trial basis. For applicants, recommending institutions and hostinstitutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitmentresults on theConfucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
1. For application, please log on to theConfucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete theConfucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scannedcopies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, ConfuciusInstitutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseasChinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chineseembassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working asrecommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materialsreview, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing overapplicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verifiedby the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will thenreview the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessmentof all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection.Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days afterthe application materials are confirmed as valid.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants,host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa ApplicationForm for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarshipcertificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutionswithin 15 working days.
1. Incomplete or unqualifiedapplications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified fromapplication in case of fraudulent application materials or applicationmaterials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot registerwith the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about thereasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those whodo not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for thosewho do not pass the admission physicalexamination, dropout, or take schooling suspension during the study.
Division of Scholarships,Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban)
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088
Fax: +86-10-58595727 E-mail:email@example.com
Appendix:Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarships
Confucius InstituteHeadquarters (Hanban)
ApplicationDocuments for Confucius Institute Scholarships
Recommending institutions andhost institutions should examine the completeness, validity and accuracy ofapplicant’s name, nationality and permanent address on the passport. If thefollowing documents are not in Chinese or English version, notarizationdocuments should be provided.
I. For all applicants
1. A scanned copy of thepassport photo page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant documents ofentrusted legal guardians in China.
2. Score reports of theHSK, HSKK or BCT, BCT (Speaking). Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the “ConfuciusInstitute Scholarship Certificate”.
3. Recommendation letter signedby the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective commentson the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Instituteor other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employmentverification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they workfor.)
I. For degree scholarship programapplicants
4. Certification of the highest educationdiploma (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
5. Applicants of the Scholarshipfor MTCSOL Students and Scholarship for “1-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL”students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors orassociate professors. Those who can provide an employment agreement or relateddocuments with the designated teaching institution are preferred.
III. Host institutions willcontact applicants directly if other materials are required.